Thursday, May 20, 2021

Proper Mindset When Rolling, To Win Or To Learn?

 

     A question I often hear discussed centers around the idea of what a student's proper mindset should be when they roll and what is going to translate into the most effective use of my time? We've all heard the expression you perform like you train. In that light there seem to be 2 main philosophies when it comes to how a student should view their rolling time with other students. 

     On the one hand, I hear the primary objective of rolling is less about learning and more about conditioning the mind, developing mental toughness, and developing a winning mindset. This view holds that when students roll, their primary objective is to simply win, to implement and execute their game plan, and to outperform their partner both technically and physically. On the flip side, there are those that say the primary objective of rolling is less about winning and more about learning, creating, and refining. Specifically rolling is viewed as a time to take chances with positions and techniques, to create new technical and conceptual connections as well as strengthening their technical base. 

     For me, after 26 years of teaching, training, and competing internationally I've found that using my rolling time as an opportunity to focus primarily on learning, creating and refining has paid the greatest dividends. I've found that through this process I've not only grown technically but developed a degree of mental toughness and a winning mindset. In closing, I wanted to pose a question: What is your personal take on this subject and what have you found to be the most effective for your training?                     

No comments:

Post a Comment